New Germantown Historical Maps

Color4-23-2007Chancery92%

Welcome to New Germantown

Today we know this town as Oldwick but it was called Smithfield in the 18th century, and New Germantown during the 19th and early part of the 20th century.

Maps of New Germantown

The Farms and Woodlands of New Germantown

DiminishedRev15-25%BScale

Update: February 8, 2012 : A map showing the area from Pittstown to the Hickory Tavern has been added on the Map Images page. It is about 2 MBytes long.

Update: May 24, 2011. The map of Lebanon has been updated to show all of the town as well as some of the surrounding farms. This map is roughly the "third generation map" from the earliest deeds of record. The map can be found on the Round Valley page.

Update: April 12, 2011. Thru Find-A-Graves website we located the gravestone for Thomas and Bridget Fagan and their daughter Ann in Springfield, Illinois. A link to a jpeg file can be found under the Croagh Hill page. The Fagan's were the Irish immigrants who built their 31 acre homestead just west of New Germantown, NJ in the early 1840's.

This website contains information related to the maps of "New Germantown", and "The Farms and Woodlands of New Germantown". David Kemp created these maps in 2006-2007 by researching thousands of deeds from the early records of Hunterdon County, New Jersey. The maps show the properties described in each of the earliest deeds of record. "The Farms and Woodlands of New Germantown" map contains 309 properties from the earliest deeds, as well as another 136 subdivisions.

These maps are among the earliest of New Germantown and Tewksbury Township to be found on the Internet, and certainly the most detailed. The earliest deed dates to 1773, a 214 acre farm Peter Sutton purchased from Nathaniel Marston.

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.


Get Flash Player